An EV has some advantages over petrol:
- Cheaper to run on a daily basis
- Better for the environment with no emissions
- Cheaper to maintain with less moving parts
Some disadvantages of an EV may include:
- Travel distance (frequently talked about alongside range anxiety)
- Charging times can be long
- Are more expensive to purchase
Mostly the advantages or disadvantages of an electric vehicle over another option are going to be based on lifestyle factors. Where some see the cheaper daily running costs as the single best factor, others will see the environmental benefits as the guiding reason for purchasing an EV.
The aim for the EV industry is to bring these advantages into a “no brainer” position where an EV is the obvious choice when looking at all the options.